MegaKerma / Silent Walk FPS Creator / Silent Walk: RENAISSANCE

Tools for creating 3D games
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: object pushable
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm 
Registered member
Registered member

Only works if the object isn't touching anything, if its on the 'floor' you just walk through it(acts like it wants to move but if you keep pushing, you go into it), raise it up just enough to where it's not touching the 'floor' and then you can push it until it makes contact with another object,then it stops but you keep on going right through it, pretty cool huh :!:
Something simular with the moveto command, if your 'riding' an object being moved with the moveto command, everything is great until the object stops,......you don't :D

Post subject: Re: object pushable
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Owner
Site Owner

Yes, this made me crazy several times. :D

Again, the lack of proper collision detection...

Player pushes an object.
In the beginning of the step I am collecting the objects which are pushed by the player.
Then in the loop (updating all objects) I check the actual object against each collected pushable object.
If one of the pushable object collides with the actual object I need to move the pushable back to its previous position.

Now the problem is, that in one step I can move the pushable forward then I need to wait for the next step to move it back or move again.
I cannot move it + check it + move back it in one step.

Same for the player against a pushable object. There can be situations when the pushable needs to moved back to its previous position, but the player is going towards the direction of the pushing.
I have two distance:
1. object actual and previous position
2. player actual and next position

If the two distances are not the same, the player "jumps over" the collision detection point and that's is... you are inside the object. :(

I've spent days with this, but I just cannot find any proper (and fast) solution.

I might found a better way handling these, but I am not sure.

I am not complaining, I just would like you to know, this is currently the weakest part of the engine. :D

Post subject: Re: object pushable
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 pm 
Registered member
Registered member

No worries , I'm not complaining, more than anything I wanted to get it on the forum so if this happens to someone they don't suspect something they did , chasing false bugs of their own. I've already figured a minor work around with the help of the checkintersect command. I sympathize with you , I've chased a lot of bugs!!! and used a few ALTERNATIVES to accomplish a goal , best of luck :D