MegaKerma / Silent Walk FPS Creator / Silent Walk: RENAISSANCE

Tools for creating 3D games
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:39 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: SW2 or SWR?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:39 am 
Registered member
Registered member

Hey everyone, you might remember me from awhile back.

Ive decided to come back and see how things are going :3.

I want to make a horror shooter game etc...

Should i use SW2 or SWR?
What are the differences?

I know that SWR tends to lag with even medium sized maps :/

But yeh... which one? SW2 or SWR?

^_^

EDIT: Ive decided to go with SWR... mainly because it seems to work fine atm and SW2.... lags in the editor :O.

But im having so much fun scripting and adding things in :3
The project im working on is called Dead House.

2ND EDIT: SWR has the problem of that... when the levels get bigger the game slows down D:.
This is really hindering my game. That was meant to have open levels.

But with the liner level system i cant.

Is there any scripts or way that i can enter a room through the level bit. But instead of going to the start position i goto a position that ive set. Then i would be fine to make small maps. But its hard when each level only leads on to the next one. :(

Post subject: Re: SW2 or SWR?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:24 pm 
Registered member
Registered member

I just purchased a license for sw2, but I'd be interested to know...

Should i use SW2 or SWR?
What are the differences?

Also, I came from Unity. I love Unity, but I'm an artist and it's darn near impossible to get the various scripts to play nice together, so I'm looking for another game creation option so I don't have to do any programming and can concentrate on model and level design.

I didn't see anything in the FAQ and I read thru the manual. Can I use mainly 3D models to create my levels and not the floor/wall/roof system? I would like to create buildings that the player can enter and exit. I'd like to do a survival horror type game that starts in space and then takes place in a city.

Post subject: Re: SW2 or SWR?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 pm 
Site Owner
Site Owner

SWR is based on GameMaker, SW2 is based on Blitz3D.

SWR is capable of handling your own game logic via the Game Maker Language (GML), but its 3D capablities are not very strong. Blitz3D is a real 3D game engine, but you cannot add your own scripts, everything is built-in, however Blitz3D can handle nice 3D models.

Each tool handle primitives (cube, cylinder, sphere) by default, so you can create nice looking structures with these objects. See BrainForcer 1/2 demos, they are made with SW2, and they are using simple primitives.

The tools also can load external 3D models. If you are good at creating 3D models with your 3D modeller, I would stick to SW2 (or even to MegaKerma!), but if you need some custom scripts then go with SWR.

On the other hand, please note that these tools are waaaay far from Unity, as no physics (only collision checking), no shadows and other eyecandy stuff are available.

Check BrainForcer3 demo as well, made with MegaKerma, (the non shooting version of SW2), it can handle external 3D models and it is possible to add your own game logic: http://www.silentworks.hu/mk/gallery.php