It is currently Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:42 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:24 am 
Registered member
Registered member

OVERLORD wrote:
I'll smack your god in a second.

BEST QUOTE EVER!

Since it's been a few days since the last update here I propose we debate over retro remakes that we seem to get these days, I think it stared with Turok. What do you think of them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:02 pm 
Blender/ Gimp Guru

I loved the turok games, a comparable series would have the be either the james bond games or the tomb raider games

www.Temptationsofresonance.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 am 

I only played Turok on an N64 emulator, which didn't have the best control method. Never played the remake.

Personally, I don't think Doom3 was a good follow-up, if that counts. I thought Doom3 was good, yes. Only game that ever got me on edge, and it was fun and all, but it didn't seem like 'Doom.' it was like something completely different.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 am 
Blender/ Gimp Guru

eventually it felt doom to me, but next gen at the same time, which i can understand why id did that. id invented the genre, they try to make everything feel new, just like with the multiplayer in rage.

but with doom 3 you still had onslaughts of monsters that made you panic at times, and if you played doom and doomII in the old days, admit it, there where times when you panics to the 64 bit sprites rushing at you, or going mad when you spent 3 hours looking for a key that was behind a door right in front of you the whole time. Doom 3 had all of that, in addition to some new things that I welcome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 am 
Registered member
Registered member

I think that the Tomb Raider "revival", aka. Anniversary, was brilliant. It was a new game with the same story and it really bought back those memories of my brothers crowding around the Playstaion and trying to out play one another. also in relation to Doom 3; The gameplay needed to be changed because it needed to appeal to new audiences. But quite rightly said previously it still had those moments of absolute panic where your health was down to 5 and you are sprinting all over the place to find a health pack or station. Doom64 has to be my favourite Doom though because it incorporates all the elements I like from the classic Doom and Doom 3, awesome dark environments with great looking graphics that made all the original monsters much scarier and the fact that they were around every corner, and you knew it. For those who use emulators to play Doom64 I recommend that you check out "Doom64 Ex" it's essentially a PC port of the game and I use it all the time and it plays pretty well like the original.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:31 pm 

I never really liked Tomb Raider Anniversary. I got one of those double game packs one time that had Tomb Raider Anniversary and legend in it, and I have to say that I liked Legend more. Seemed more refreshed or something, even though a lot of parts were dumb and corny.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:56 pm 
Registered member
Registered member

how about them bruins?

stanley cup champions 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm 
Graphics Artist

i got Tomb Raider Anniversary for the PSP, i cant say anything bad about it.
as for legend i realy never played that one, but im considdering of buying legend and anniversary as a pack for the playstation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:49 pm 
Blender/ Gimp Guru

tomb raider legends was the only tomb raider game I got into, even though me and my bro own every single tomb raider except anniversary, I just didnt get into the old ones too much

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 pm 
Registered member
Registered member

there's soon to be a reboot of the tomb raider series, looks s*** in my opinion. It goes back to when see was younger and well... just looks over the top, but meh, they've been a favourite of mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm 
Blender/ Gimp Guru

I think the reboot is trying to compete with uncharted, we'll see if it dosent get too hollywood for a classic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:31 am 
Registered member
Registered member

I see where this is going and all I will say is ... Do not go hatin on my Duke Nukem Forever! lol (Stephen Lang will play Duke in the movie)

Change of subject for good debate here:
DVD or Blu Ray ... taken down to the basic logic of each, what IS the difference? When Blu Ray first was introduced it was calld a Blu Ray DVD, now they say its not a DVD. Well DVD is short for Digital Video Disk and ... wait .... oh mah gosh! a Blu Ray disk is ... ohhh my looord!! a Digital Video Disk. No matter how you slice it or dice it that is what it is.
Why then you ask, can I not play a Blu Ray on my DVD player then?? well thats called software issues as in, Why can I not play a PS3 disc in my PS2 or PS1? reverse compatability works only one way.
Now my beef to debate? I have the AVATAR Blu Ray / DVD combo pack and watched both. There is no difference other than the enhancement of clarity for the graphics so you can see makeup lines, sweat, and facial hair or the bark on a tree. WOW !! I want to drop $200 on a Blu Ray player just for that! Blu Ray will last as long as Betamax did over VHS unless the price for EVERYTHING to benifit from Blu Ray drops massively. ( If you have a standard CRT or non HD TV then you will not see ANYTHING of difference from Blu Ray or DVD. A STandard TV can't process the information fast enough to clarify it.)

(pause for effect ..... umm ... NO you CAN"T) :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:48 am 
Registered member
Registered member

DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc because they're not restricted to video.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 pm 
Registered member
Registered member

too bad they were first branded when yes, they first came out restricted to video

want to know why? they were sold blank only to large companies, only the player was a consumer item at first

edit: i should mention this was an extremely small time frame, only a month or two before consumer blank DVD's came out